Monday, July 19, 2004

Fat Kid Rules the World *****

Going, K.L. Fat Kid Rules the World.  New York Putnam, 2003. 
                                                                                                                                                                        I was excited to read this book because it had gotten a starred review in School Library Journal.  I have had this book in my collection since September but have put off reading it. I think the problem was the cover.  It is a really ugly cover.  I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I do!  The cover of this one made it look very dark and depressing and I like to avoid that unless I am in the mood for that sort of thing!  I am glad I finally picked it up.                                                                                                                                                              Troy is a 300 pound high school student with no friends. One day he is contemplating committing suicide by jumping onto the subway tracks, but it saved by Curt, a homeless drug addict who used to go to his school.  Soon, he becomes friends with Curt who introduces him to the Punk Rock scene.  Despite the fact that he can't play the drums, Curt creates a band with Troy as the drummer and books them a show.  Troy has only a few weeks to learn how to play guitar.  Troy keeps trying to quit, but Curt won't give up on him.  Troy and Curt both learn the meaning of frienship during their time together.

No comments: