Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Margaux with an X ***

Koertge, Ron. Margaux with an X. Cambridge, Candlewick. 2004.



I didn't like this book because I had a hard time figuring out what it was about. The writing itself was good, and quite advanced, but I am not sure where Koertge was going with it.

Margaux is really attractive. Her and her friends engage in a lot of attention-seeking behaviours. Most people hate her because she is so pretty and men like her just for her looks. She hates her home life because it is really toxic, so she looks for ways to get out of the house and away from her parents. She meets an unattractive guy from school, Danny. He works with the Humane Society, looking after the dogs. In his spare time he goes to homes to check on the dogs that were adopted out. He lives with an Aunt that is ill.

The novel centers around their friendship, but there isn't really much to it. There was so much more that we still don't know about these people. There wasn't that much action or dialogue. I am still a little puzzled. I guess I wish I learned more about these characters, since the book was about them. I left the book not knowing anything more about the characters than when I started.

No comments: